The PGA Junior League at Fossil Trace Golf Club is an opportunity to play the great game of golf in a team atmosphere. Teams are comprised of boys and girls ages 13 and under and new for 2018 at Fossil Trace Golf Club, players 16 and under. PGA Junior League (PGAJLG) provides a structured league environment, similar to Little League Baseball; PGAJLG provides competitive team-golf opportunities with friends and peers, but students also receive guidance and instruction from the Fossil Trace professional staff. A scramble format is utilized for all PGA Junior League matches – creating a fun, inclusive playing environment.
PGA Junior League Participant Benefits:
- Team practice/lesson sessions with the Professional Staff at Fossil Trace Golf Club.
- Up to 6 (six) 9-hole regular-season league matches.
- Great discounted playing options on the golf course (see practice schedule).
- A Fossil Trace range pass for the duration of their season.
- The PGA of America is partnering with Garb Inc. (a Denver-based youth apparel company) to bring more value to the team kits. Players receive two jerseys for home and away matches, a cap, bag tag, sticker, T-shirt, and a cinch backpack.
- Players can choose their number and girls/boys-cut jerseys.
PGAJLG at Fossil Trace
If your child can drive, chip or putt, we have a role for them in PGA Junior League. If your child needs further experience, join our Junior Clinics or Camps this summer. We will be accepting registrations on a first come, first serve basis to fill the Fossil Trace Junior League Team. For registration questions, please contact Adam Finch, PGA Professional and Junior League Captain at Fossil Trace Golf Club at (303) 277-8751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fossil Trace Junior League season begins in May. Roster spots are limited to 20 players (8-13 years division) and 6 players (U16 division).
COST: $400 per junior
SCHEDULE: Download the practice & competition schedule
PGA Junior League Notes for Parents & Kids
The PGA Junior League program features a team vs. team format in a structured league providing the popular, less stressful scramble format. PGAJLG is a great way to get the entire family involved in golf; parents as spectators, team-dads and moms, and even coaches.
Similar to other youth recreational sports, PGAJLG encourages and relies on parental involvement. In addition to making sure participants get to matches and practices, parents can play an important role in the success of their team:
- Team-mom or dad
- Match monitor/scorer
- Player recruitment
WHY WE PLAY
Golf is FUN! The focus of PGAJLG is to have fun playing golf with friends and peers. Junior League teams want to win, but the stress of golf often associated with individual tournament play is eliminated by the low-pressure format and camaraderie of playing on a team with your buddies. Our goal is to foster an enjoyment of the game of golf that will last a lifetime.
THE TEAM and FORMAT
There is no individual scoring in PGAJLG. The two-player scramble format allows for all participants to feel connected with their team. Strong play is certainly rewarded, while a poor shot does not lose the hole. Players of all skill levels are welcome and will contribute to the team's success. Each player get to play, in every competition!
- "Flags": Each team-vs-team competition in PGAJLG consists of four 9-hole matches. Each 9-hole match is broken down into three 3-hole segments that we call "Flags". Actual "Flag" stickers are awarded to participants upon capturing a 3-hole point for their team. The stickers are collected by the players throughout the season, and proudly displayed on their PGA JLG bag-tags as a sign of accomplishment.
- Alternates: In PGAJLG matches, coaches have the opportunity to alternate players at the beginning of each new "Flag". Each player is guaranteed to play at least one "Flag" in each competition. Alternates allow coaches to create pairs that maximize the team's chance for success, while still preserving the most enjoyable overall experience for each player.
Yes, golf uniforms! This amenity is perhaps the most popular innovation in the PGA Junior League. Numbered jerseys will be supplied to all players and teams as part of the kit. Kids may be accustomed to wearing numbers in other sports and it has made it way to the great game of golf.
Two team rosters are created after 1st practice - not based on ability, but more on cohesive pairings. PGA Junior League will send us our uniforms based on the two rosters for use in all matches.